Tuesday, July 31, 2007

sunburned hand of the man




Sunburned Hand Of The Man is an incredible band. They are incredibly prolific too. I count something like 35 or so albums since late nineties. That is a whole lotta music. I don't know a ton about the band and haven't gotten a chance to see em live, but they're brand of funky psyche tribal free jazz drone spit is beyond infectious. It is absolutely spell binding. It makes you feeeeel like your heads a balloon man - isn't that what psyche is supposed to do? They are sometimes described as part of the new weird america or free folk. Both these terms sort of make me cringe. They are irrelevant and not quite an appropriate or poignant label for an expansive expression such as that of the sunburned hand. They have their own label called Manhand which puts out all their records and those of their collaborations.




The album I want to share with you is called Anatomy Vol. 1
It was released as a CDR in 2005. This is one of my favorites. It begins with a spoken word sort of thing that plays throughout the album. A man's voice, in warped fashion, tells you to "close your eyes, I'm going to teach you to concentrate, listen very very carefully & follow the instructions". The voice leads you in a far out exercise in concentration & self-awareness that makes me smile evry time. The sounds that follow are like an incredible glass of whiskey. You'll feel warm and you'll start to feel loose.

I really dig what this band does. I also dig the bands that are doin the same kinda things: no neck blues band, jackie-o motherfucker, starving weirdos, avarus, et cetera. I will start to share stuff from these bands in the future. I hope you enjoy this though.
Love, tickle polyester

check the comments for the link to download

3 comments:

adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
adam said...

copy and paste this into the address bar of yer browser.

http://rapidshare.com/files/46378961/SHOTM.zip.html

then click on the free button and follow directions to download

armeur H said...

Please ! could you re-up the link ? It will be so kind ! I like so much this band !